Saturday, May 17, 2008

Gaming Update

Been playing some Grand Theft Auto IV with varying degrees of success. Multiplayer ranges from amazingly fun to unbelievably annoying. I guess it's the new soup du jour for XBox Live. Single player is pretty good, but isn't a quantum leap forward from previous titles. The world is extremely detailed but still just as interactive as the last iteration (which is to say, minimally).

The World Ends With You on the DS is absolutely fantastic though. It really makes the DS come alive. The (so-called) emoish story actually works very well and is keeping me pretty engrossed. All the extra features piled into the game really sing and bring a lot of different looks on how to play the game the way you want to.

Baroque on the Wii is more successful as an intellectual exercise than it is as a game. I've had the Japanese import (Sega Saturn) for awhile now, but I was never really able to play it as the mechanics are obtuse to say the least and the language barrier made it almost impossible to attempt. Now that I (kind of) know what's going on in the game, it certainly takes a lot of risks that fly much more in the Japanese market than our own. It's already bombing here, but I give all the credit in the world to Atlus for bringing this over here. Especially with what had to be an amazingly difficult translation job for the sparse text in the game (it's very, very strange).

I'm also currently playing Diablo 2 again and having a damn blast. It scratches the loot itch left behind in the wake of World of Warcraft but without all the guilt and self-loathing that comes with playing it.

I very recently bought two games off of eBay. Switch on the PS2 and Pu-li-ru-la on the Saturn. I've looked for the former for a LONG time. Years. Naturally I grabbed it as soon as it was available. I'll need to replace my Japanese PS2 very soon to try it out.

No comments: